CBU Art Gallery

The Cape Breton University Art Gallery now has a blog! See what's going on at Cape Breton's only university art gallery. Updated weekly

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Update #8

Hello All,
It feels like ages since i've updated the blog. I've been sick with the flu *twice* in the past month and feel like my brain has been affected by the fevers! Anyway... I'm back in the Art Gallery now.
The current exhibitions will be coming down soon, in a few days in fact. The in-between time is always a little weird.... you feel like you're just getting used to what's on the walls and are getting into a nice groove with non-exhibition work, then it's time for the next show again. Of course, at least half of the work done at the gallery is exhibition related! I have a nagging feeling that i'm behind in my planning for nostalgia & longing (opening March 17 at 7:00 pm) since i missed so much time being sick, but almost all of the the work had already been chosen before my last bout with the flu.
The official material says that this exhibition will draw on the Art Gallery's permanent collection to examine the concepts of yearning, desire, and need, and the reconciliation or elusion of these states of being. My hope is that the art presented will lead the veiwer on a self-guided tour through which they can look for elements of nostalgia and longing in the work on display. The longing and nostalgia referenced in the art will be for a place, a time, a person, or a long-lost intangible feeling. The visual triggers for these feelings will be highly varied. This will be an exhibit for lingering in front of, for moving past the literal and delving into the veiwer's imagination and the past.
I'm promising a lot, huh? Hopefully i can deliver this as promised! Send me your good curatorial energies, please!
While I'm on a roll here, I'd like to thank Beverly Niven for her time and interest in the Art Gallery. Beverly was in yesterday interveiwing me for In Conversation, the series she has coming up on Eastlink cable. We had a wonderful time talking about the gallery and art and we could have gone on longer. I will let everyone know when it will air (maybe someone will invite me to their place to watch it?).
So if you haven't seen the 10th Annual Student, Faculty, Staff & Alumni Art Exhibition or Drawing on the Permanent Collection you better get yourself down to the Art Gallery before Friday! And you really must hang out in "the reading room" for a little while too... it looks great down there.
Suzanne

www.capebretonu.ca

1 Comments:

Blogger Mitchel Kennedy said...

Hrrmm... this exhibition sounds as though it would connect with people. What a great idea! =]

3:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home