CBU Art Gallery

The Cape Breton University Art Gallery now has a blog! See what's going on at Cape Breton's only university art gallery. Updated weekly

Friday, May 19, 2006

Update 12

Hello All,
I meant to update this on Monday and, well... it's Friday now. Need i say more?
About the opening for Jan Gyorfi-West's My Friends, the Artists - The Many Faces of Art (Friday May 12) all i can to adequately summarize the event is "happening"! It's really a shame if you weren't one of the 130 or so people in the crowd I felt such support for Jan, the artists recorded, and Cape Breton culture in general that night. It was truly moving. I'll include some pics from that night to illustrate the fun and excitement of the opening.
Shadows of Light had a great opening as well on Monday night (May 15). Almost all of the budding artists were in attendance, along with their supportive friends and family, along with representatives from the Canadian Mental Health Association, the Cape Breton Victoria Regional School Board, and Cape Breton University. We had about 80 folks in attendance... very nice. No pics of this because i didn't have spare batteries with me! Oops.
Today i was conducting research for our next exhibition, Cape Breton Scenes, featuring historical paintings and drawings by Henrietta B. Clarke, Hetty D. Kimber, and Louise B. McLennan. Lecture dates are being confirmed (it's looking like June 22 and July 7, at 7:00 pm at the Lyceum), and plans are being hatched for the production of a small catalogue to accompany the show. If anyone is looking for me... i'll be at the McConnell Memorial Library tomorrow carrying on my info-gathering mission. I love having the opportunity to present historical works in the city they were created! I hope we get as good a response for Cape Breton Scenes as we have had so far for the current exhibitions.
I promised myself that i'd keep this short because it's Friday night,f or heaven's sake and a girl's got to have some fun outside of the Art Gallery!
Happy long weekend!
Suzanne

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were looking for some photo's of the exhibition. As we were / are unable to make it before the exhibition ends.

Thank you,
Jan's eldest son (Alexander (Rick)) and wife (Debra), living in Ontario

6:50 p.m.  
Blogger Jude said...

Yes, me too! Hetty D Kimber is an ancestor of mine and I'd love to see some of her work.

Thank you,
Jude Wiseman from the UK (now living in Spain)
judewiseman@hotmail.co.uk

1:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home